We’ve Come This Far By Faith

 

2nd Avenue

Renovated barbecue cafe on 2nd Avenue

From an obscure and humble beginning in a renovated barbecue cafe in South Dallas, Full Gospel Holy Temple has pilgrimaged to its present location and spiritual status under the valiant and astute leadership of our late Founder, The Most Honorable Apostle Lobias Murray. In 2012, God blessed us with our new Presiding Bishop and Overseer, Bishop Herman Murray, Jr.

The church was established in June 1961 with only six members. A remnant of those six remain today as faithful charter members. Since the beginning, the handiwork of God has continually manifested itself upon the Full Gospel Holy Temple ministry. God’s Shekinah glory is witnessed in each service, bringing forth testimonies of deliverance, miracles and transforming lives.

Due to an increasing membership, Full Gospel Holy Temple has relocated four times in its over 50-year history. In 1963, the church moved from Second Avenue to 1103 East Ninth Street to accommodate the

9th Street

1103 E. 9th Street

young, growing congregation. At this location, the first FGHT “Broadcast of Deliverance” was aired over radio station KHVN (formerly KNOK). The first radio announcer, as well as the first choir director, was Dr. Shirley Murray, first lady of the church.

Six years later, due to a flourishing membership, larger facilities were once again needed. Thus, in June 1969, the church relocated to 2152 Fordham Road. Within

Fordham Road

Fordham Road locatioin

three years the sanctuary was  filled to capacity. The term, “wall-to-wall people,” was frequently used to describe the packed conditions in this edifice. The Scripture, “And he gave some apostles . . .” (Ephesians 4:11), was made  to manifest in Apostle Murray’s ministry at the Fordham Road location. Through prophecy God spoke confirming and promoting him to the office of apostleship. At the time prophecy was spoken,  he had already established and appointed pastors to several churches. As a result of this spiritual promotion, FGHT became an incorporated body of fellowship churches. Today, numerous  churches throughout Texas, Louisiana, Virginia, California, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Iowa comprise the magnitude of the continually expanding ministry.

In March 1975, Apostle Murray led the congregation to 1900 South Ewing Avenue. The opulent, dome shaped sanctuary has a seating capacity of 2000 and the appraised purchase price was 2.5 million  dollars. Recognized in the city of Dallas for his impeccable stewardship of God’s resources and finance, Apostle Murray burned the church mortgage note in 2

Ewing Ave.

1900 South Ewing Ave.

1/2 years! A local newspaper writing about  the financial miracle proclaimed: “Full Gospel is Debt Free!” In 1979, another milestone in the FGHT ministry unfolded when the doors of Lobias Murray Christian Academy were opened to the public.  For 31 years, LMCA, the school, a fully accredited, 12-year school, held the distinction of being the first African-American owned K-12th grade, private, fully accredited academy in Dallas, Texas.

The Shirley Murray Child Development Center (SMCDC) also opened in 1979 on the same campus. Dr. Shirley Murray founded the SMCDC, which faithfully served children ages 2 years to  Kindergarten until 2011.

The FGHT ministry seeks to reach people in all segments of society through its outreach ministries. The FGHT “Broadcast of Deliverance” (radio and television) is heard and seen over stations  throughout the United States and around the globe. The weekly telecast is aired on the Daystar Television Network and the Word Network. Additionally, FGHT publishes a bi-monthly magazine, “The Gospel Truth.” This colorful, 16-page magazine features an array of inspirational articles, sermons, testimonies, and photos from the church. The “Gospel Truth” is a free publication, and distributed upon request.

A wealth of spiritual information is provided for parishioners, the sick and shut in, and visitors through FGHT’s extensive media library. Other outreach ministries include: The “Helping Hand,” an organization that provides food and clothing to needy families; the jail ministry; street ministries; Wednesday morning “Prayer Service,” and a Saturday morning “Youth Service.” FGHT’s music department is comprised of five choirs: “Temple Choir”; “Youth Congress”; “Soul Harvest  Mega Choir”; “Founders Mass Choir”; “The Women of Zion”; and The Shirley Murray Gospel Singers (named after First Lady Evangelist Shirley Murray). These choirs create an avenue to usher in praise and create a heavenly presence in the  sanctuary.

Another triumph in the ministry was celebrated July 4, 1985: the dedication of the 111-acre L&S Christian Camp. Beautifully landscaped and surrounded by a one and one-half acre lake, it is located in East Texas, in Scottsville. In addition to  providing a tranquil, Christian atmosphere for resort purposes, a one-week Vacation Bible School for youth, ages 8-17, is held during the summer months.

In 2002,  FGHT moved to its present location at 39727 LBJ Freeway in Dallas, TX. It was at this location that we said goodbye to our founder, the late Apostle Murray, in a powerful and emotional homegoing service. But God didn’t leave us comfortless. An anointed man of God who walked with God for almost 60 years, saw fit to appoint Bishop Herman Murray as pastor of the headquarters church in the fall of 2011 and, upon his demise, his last wish was that Bishop Murray would take up the mantle as the Overseer and Presiding Bishop of this great organization. Bishop Murray accepted the call and is now leading this ministry to heights unknown. Today with an active membership of over 2,500, and steadily growing, God’s Divine,  infallible Word remains at the forefront of the FGHT ministry. With God’s help and guidance, “We’ve Come This Far By Faith.”